Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Vanguard Cert Guide

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #881

• mrPaZaP
  • Fresh Boarder
Haven't spend any certs in vanguards. Any recommendations or musts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #884

• Acaymo
  • Thank you received: 79
I'd say the default main gun is really good. I think you should get the shield ASAP, it's mandatory. Most people like side armor and combat chasis.

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #886

• Backf1re
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
Utility slot: vanguard shield -
This is the unique ability the vanguard gets, much like the magriders magburner (afterburner) or the prowlers anchor mode (deploys into a siege weapon).

Defence slot: mine guard -
The reinforced plating (front/side/top) is worthless as the vanguard is already the best armoured MBT. Add the fact you can equip the vanguard shield, you become a formidable force. So with that said, by equipping mine guard you become even stronger as you can withstand 4 mines (fully certed) without being intagibed. I've survived many times from 2 mines (25% HP left) when one engi tries to get behind me, only to move forward after the blast and fire a shell at his face.

Performance slot: Race high speed -
The vanguard is slow and cumbersome, a bane of any tank. This will increase the top speed by 5KPH each level, and almost double the acceleration. This helps with climbing up inclines and more importantly in tank battles where you can flank the enemy and get to the side armour.

Primary weapon - All three turrets are excellent at their role (AP = anti-armour, HE = anti-infantry). The HEAT which you start with is good at both, but not as strong as either of them alone. So choose depending on what you are going to attack.

Secondary weapon - Enforcer (both versions)
The ML85 missile launcher is the best at anti-armour, the C85 modified is very deadly against infantry at close range as it's a 3 shot cannister shell (shotgun).
It's important to choose depending on what your main gun is; if your using HE select the ML85, if your using AP choose the C85 modified. The reason is because if you roll out with AP, it is not good against infantry so you need a gunner to deal with them and visa versa.

Hope this helps. ;)
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Backf1re.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brainwipe, mrPaZaP, Erzfeuer

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #888

• pieterv
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 246
Backf1re wrote:
Performance slot: Race high speed -
The vanguard is slow and cumbersome, a bane of any tank. This will increase the top speed by 5KPH each level, and almost double the acceleration. This helps with climbing up inclines and more importantly in tank battles where you can flank the enemy and get to the side armour.
I chose rival combat chasis for reverse speed, here's a nice review of rival combat 3:

I thought I heard somewhere racer doesn't help acceleration unlike what the certs tooltip says. Maybe they were lying, maybe they fixed it, maybe I misremembered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrPaZaP

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #889

• mrPaZaP
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks backf1re nice indepth guide haha, I think I'll stick with the main gun and upgrade the utility, shield and mineguards first. Then go for anti-armour on primary and anti infantry on top!

As for the frames I'll get both and see which ones I like!

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #891

• JackHerrer
  • Officer
  • smokers gonna smoke
  • Thank you received: 761
As i play the Vanguard a lot too I think i shall give my 2c as well.

I am going to follow Backfire in a few things, like the shield, and the main gun but i have other tips that can be used on the Vanguard.

To start, the vanguard is the best armoured tank in the game, what i did is certing into the reinforced front armour, since the vanguard is a slow lumbering but powerfull tank we tend to keep distance with our enemies, thus not really needing the mineguard. When your front armour is reinforced you can take much more damage in your front hull, prowlers are little bitches when i encounter them, but off course, always show your front armour to your enemies, its a smaller surface to hit and its reinforced, together with the vanguard shield you now can take massive amounts of damage before retreating for repairs. (Also, why not upgrade the best there is to be better???)

Racer speed: yes, do it, because you're slow as fuck that's why.

GUNZ: The primary vanguard gun is a good all round gun, try using the NV on it, you'll see it's great in daylight and awesome at night, lot's of kills can be had with that, I also upgraded the reload speed, but i think that's only really gonna make a difference on the max-cert.
For the secondary guns we have some good weaponry, if you get fucked by enemy flyers more then anything you'll like the anti-air guns, but these are anti air only which renders you not possible to engage ground targets on your level, i enjoy the antitank enforcer (M80 or 85 dunno), when i'm alone in my tank on the battlefield i fire both guns, if you fire your main gun and then switch to the secondary your main gun will still reload, so you have an extra AP shot while reloading, this is off course when you are alone, i'd take the enforcer over anything, but that's more personal opinion, also night vision. The combo of the basic main gun and the AP enforcer is spreading death at any distance, preferably far away lol.

(and never, never show your rear armour to your enemies, always show your front armour)

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #894

• pieterv
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 246
Quick note on the rear armor thing
Planetside 2 calculates where the bullet hits not by where on the model they hit, but by seeing where the bullet comes from compared to your tank's orientation.
in other words, if you're mostly oriented with your front towards the enemy don't mess up your aim by adjusting it to reveal nothing of your sides at all, even if they manage to hit you in the side while they're mostly in front of you it'll count as a front hit.

This might not seem important to most of you but I was used to more stable tank turrets and more precise hit detection from battlefield3, which caused me to miss shots because I was constantly adjusting my tank's rotation to reveal as little of my sides as possible.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by pieterv.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPokealot

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #902

• MrPokealot
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 154
I'd go for top/front armor rather than rear, as well as rival combat chassis. While the speed is a bit slow, the additional speed will not allow you to manuever into position as fast as the *Rival Combat Chassis will. Sure you'll get there faster but it doesn't really help you in a defensive situation(which is where vanguard is supposed to excel).

Generally the vanguard's biggest weakness tends to be magriders or aircraft. Low speed, low manueverability.

I've also got a guide on the methods of maximizing your cover while firing from a covered position. It's somewhere in the forums, it'll link you to the ps2 forums.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by MrPokealot. Reason: I meant Rival, not High Speed.Super fail.

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 8 months ago #912

• Backf1re
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
@peiterv
Racer defiantly improves acceleration, I noticed a huge difference when I certed into the upgrades. As for rival chassis, the improved turning is only useful if your fighting one-on-one, where keeping the front plate facing the enemy is vital. But I already manage that to good effect without any upgrades to begin with. And the improved reverse speed might look good, but I don't see how an extra 7KPH will help, as the default speed of about 20KPH is reasonable.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Backf1re.

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 7 months ago #1226

• mrPaZaP
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeh, I'll cert it as much and aim it towards how I'm dieing / killing mostly.

Vanguard Cert Guide 5 years 7 months ago #1249

• MrPokealot
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 154
Well there's a decent reddit thread covering all the different tanks and comparisons over here. www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/14y...to_know_about_tanks/

Just to cover the more offensive certs:

1) The HEAT cannon does a shit ton of damage. Now I know its not as visually impressive, but the AP shell is better for bullet velocity and damage, so do consider buying it. The anti-infantry one is a waste of time though, just stick with the HEAT if you're strapped for cash. Its good enough.

2)Despite the cost, reload speed is worth certing into because it effectively increases the DPS, which is one of the biggest weaknesses of a vanguard(slowest reload).

3)When starting out though in the very first thing you will need is vanguard shield, followed by the enforcer. Anything else after that is up to you because these two things will give us an advantage over the prowler, which has the highest DPS of the 3(plus the main zerg is always TR anyway). The vanguard only has the highest damage per shot, so if you want every shot to count, position is everything. Just never run your vanguard without a buddy. Lone wolf vanguards are dead vanguards.

Back to the defense again - When choosing between high speed and rival chassis, the extra rotating speed will help against ambushes. Again, I stress that the vanguard's main priority is not chasing down targets or running away, but maintaining distances from prowlers by reversing, and by rotating with magriders.

Oh and I also found this picture on the forums that should help you decide on where to shoot magriders.

forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?th...-damage-zones.62817/
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by MrPokealot.
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds