Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: some thoughts about ps2

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1846

• blodrik
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
where is ps2 going?.....for me it goes backwards,
in a successful game you see the company that runs it usually installs new servers,not reducing the number it already runs on.
what will happen if population falls more?....more merges?
i thought that a company like soe who is a branch of sony(and we all know that sony is a huge company with actually limitless resources)would actually be able to deliver a decent product.

but the soe stuff seems more busy with their little tv shows,and fooling around in twitter than actually working on the gameand when they do they neerfhammer little things and details that would matter in small scale fights ruining the entire character progression of some ppl,yet this game is all about large scale conflict where most of their balancing actually does not making a difference(or any sense at all)
and yet they still don't have a clue on how to fix the game engine that makes this game run like crap unless it runs on a brand new i7

in the meanwhile competition is catching with ps2
defiance is releasing next month and if they go free to play(they have not announced yet the economic model,hope they do go f2p i really like what i have seen so far and i want to play this game :) )imo ps2 will be a dead game in the next 3 months,and that's just one game,more are coming

my 2 eurocents :P

http://www.defiance.com/en/
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by blodrik.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1847

• Thunderstrom
  • Wasn't this an awesome idea Creagle?!
  • Thank you received: 371
To be honest, the servermerges dont worry me at all. What worries me is that they feel the need to do everything more zergoriented latley. Mallory was actually pretty good the way it was.

And now with the new mapsystem coming up funneling more people to the same locations it will be even harder to acomplish anything as a smaller group of players.

Dont even get me started on balancing in general, perticulary not AA.

But all in all so far its still the most fun game out there (for me atleast). Lets hope SOE doesnt take to many wrong turns with it.

//Thunderpanties

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1851

• Backf1re
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
PS1 had server merges, in the end they all merged into what we see today called Gemini. PS1 has a lattice system which controlled what bases you can attack/capture (preventing ghost capping). PS2 is about to get a hybrid system with hexes/lattice to prevent ghost capping. PS1 has a sub model, all guns/gadgets came with the game. PS2 has a F2P model, each month new items are released which causes balance tweaks. PS2 runs on the forgelight engine; it's brand new so expect bugs, glitches and common issues to be ironed out gradually over time.

SOE is doing what they said in the roadmap with the occasional shuffle due to unexpected issues here and there which is natural in development. Wait until the 6 month plan is complete, then judge the game.

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1856

• gluttonberry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I'm a bit worried about all the feedback from the community that they take serious. You often read stuff like: "We need more guns that actually look different" and "this game needs to be optimized". These two things don't really go together. More models => worse performance. There's a lot feedback like this in the Internet, that just dissents with other stuff people want.

And the last LevelCap videos: "I'm getting bored of this game, I need better spawns, which take me directly back into the battle when I die, so I don't have to rely on Sunderers that will get blown up."
How are you supposed to win a battle with strategy instead of numbers when you can't stop the enemy to spawn with all their numbers?
And in the last video he's ranting on how this game favors vehicles and he wants it to be more fun for infantry while he's farming infantry with his Scythe without bothering to blow up their Sunderer first :whistle:

I like a lot of his videos and I guess he has a lot of influence, but I hope the devs don't listen to him in this case and do what they feel to be right. A lot of BuzzCutPsycho's ideas sound way better.

But I'm quite confident that the developers will find a way to make everyone as happy as possible within the limits of computing power we have available today

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1858

• MrPokealot
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 154
Well thing is planetside 2 will last pretty long, if anything it'll last longer than APB:R will, which was an epic fail of a FPS MMO. No feedback, lots of bugs, lots of hackers, rare updates...planetside 2 has more developer support in comparison, which means more value for your game, and generally more fun. I say give it a year before looking at the population graph and calling it quits.

As for the server merge I've yet to see if I can play ps2 yet but chances are it's going to be more laggy(like I predicted from the start) and if I can't play I'll probably stick to singleplayer games until the next potential wow killer comes out.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by MrPokealot.

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1860

• Backf1re
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
What game is APB:R?
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Backf1re.

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1861

• findusxx
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
ABP reloaded, a fps, where you can decide to play as cop or as ganster. it could be really cool but its pay to win, so you dont really can kill cashplayers without paying
you can try it free on steam but i dont like it

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1862

• MrPokealot
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 154
findusxx wrote:
ABP reloaded, a fps, where you can decide to play as cop or as ganster. it could be really cool but its pay to win, so you dont really can kill cashplayers without paying
you can try it free on steam but i dont like it

Its dying because G1(Gamersfirst) the people who made the game have had a lot of administration issues(people got fired, there was a lot of politics) and the development has crawled to a pace, so they're trying to squeeze out every last cent out of the players there by using pay 2 win weapons, by selling random items(they're called joker boxes, every time you buy one you have a 0.0001 chance of getting a rare item). You can spend 100 pounds and not get your item. Its not even half as detailed as PS2 and it lags really bad.

Yet people still play it. It's conceptually sound, but it needs people to care for it the way SOE cares for PS2, and you can't do that without funding.

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1865

• Acaymo
  • Thank you received: 79
I don't agree with Blodrik.

Server merges have nothing to do with the quality of the game (at least directly). They merged serves only because of the low population, and it was a necessary thing. It has improved the gameplay on our server. Have you ever seen such big battles in Esamir in the last 3 months? It was a shame that we had such a low population that only one continent had real battles.
The game is no worse than the beginning. The merges mean that some people got bored and stopped playing. That always happens, specially with an over-hyped game.
We have much more variety of weapons, we got stuff balanced, we got horns for the sundies. This game evolves and grows, and the more pool of gameplay options that there is, the more complex and the better this game will be.

They are following public's feedback really well, IMO. Having more models doesn't mean the game will be worse optimized. The problem of this game was (and is) that it runs too much CPU rather than graphic card (I'm not a PC expert but that sums it). Optimization means that they will make the program more efficient. If including new models made it worse, I would just quit, because that'd mean no more new stuff, and that would kill the game.

About the TV shows... It's just marketing strategy. Of course they only think about money, or else this game wouldn't even exist in the first place (anyway I've honestly never watched nor cared about any of those dubstep-saturated shows). But, really, I don't think it's P2W. You can access to everything in this game without paying a single cent for it. I never bought any SC, but I'm as competitive as those who run lighted up sunderers with golden emblems and horns. I've never had a problem with this.
I think they really are trying to balance this game, and they're doing it right. We just got flinching fixed, which was a huge issue for NC's infantry, and made 1v1 shootings a competition of who-shot-first. They buffed shotgun's stats, because they sucked big time, and now they're much better. They buffed Prowler's special ability because no one was using it (aka it was not competitive).

Of course I'm not saying SOE has the best team of the game industry. They usually fuck things up with the new patches, and they tend to take a bit longer than they should with the releases and bug fixes, but being such an ambitious game, I think they're doing a good job so far, and they're really going to the right direction. The Roadmap thing is really a good idea.

We expect to have buggies, empire specific rocket launchers, a new hex system more alike to PS1... The game will only get better in the near future.

Only my two peseta :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hbw

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1893

• HIGHCommanderJack
  • I enjoy freedom
  • Thank you received: 760
Back in the day,

Software had to be released ready, because very few people had any online connectivity.

I remember the first modem I got. 2400 baud. It was superfast - about 1 megabyte per hour!

Now the world is different,

Internet everywhere, so you can release an uncompleted product.

I think the merges are not the problem. Playing alone in a low/no pop server would be much worse than playing in a high/zerg pop server. Besides, due all the newbies, my certs are just soaring :)
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1903

• hbw
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 170
I don't think SOE can be accused of being lazy and not addressing the issues of the game- they shipped a working, functional product and since then have endeavoured to continuously improve it based on community feedback.

They work long long hours, frequently their weekends too, to get content and patches out to us. They don't receive anywhere near the credit they deserve.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Acaymo, Backf1re

some thoughts about ps2 5 years 6 months ago #1918

• Acaymo
  • Thank you received: 79
hbw wrote:
I don't think SOE can be accused of being lazy and not addressing the issues of the game- they shipped a working, functional product and since then have endeavoured to continuously improve it based on community feedback.

They work long long hours, frequently their weekends too, to get content and patches out to us. They don't receive anywhere near the credit they deserve.

How do you know that?
Anyway, what I don't like and it seems to be canon of modern games, is tight deadlines. Why do they exist? Because of marketing and business strategy. They calculate the maximum profit will be X day of release, no matter how finished is the game. I hate that, it makes lots of games to be released without being finished. Maybe SOE is hard-working, but they maybe should get their deadlines loosen, because they're not always punctual. I'd rather wait 2 days more than expect something, and have that something delayed 2 days.

I don't know if I explained that properly xD But, hey, don't take me wrong, I really enjoy the work they're doing (as I said in my previous post). They're making me consider spending money in a F2P game, something that goes against my jewish tight-fisted mentality.
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds