Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PS4 is a PC

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1004

• brainwipe
  • The Doctor
  • Thank you received: 319
Well, I can't say that I saw that coming but the Playstation 4 is another x86 architecture machine with AMD Radeon based graphics. They've completely dumped their fascinating-yet-difficult-to-develop-on proprietary cell architecture for the same architecture as the PC and XBox.

The internet seems to be alive with thoughts of game porting benefits but I imagine those companies that port well will continue to do so; those that don't see ports as an investment: won't.

I certainly can't afford another gaming device (or another TV to plug it into), so I certainly won't be buying a PS4 but I do love to see new technology!

Are you likely to get a PS4? An brand loyalists out there?
My low K/D is not because I'm a shit player, it's because I'm a shit medic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1005

• blodrik
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
hi,got a pc already so no thnx im not getting one :D

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1008

• zooba
  • Thank you received: 502
Planetside2 already takes up more of my life than it should, so getting another gaming platform would be disastrous :O !
Unofficially entered hypercasual activitystate
The following user(s) said Thank You: bosbos

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1017

• Backf1re
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
While I moved over to PC gaming as a teen, I did enjoy consoles in my youth. I still play the occasional game with some mates, but that's about it.

While I now play PC games almost entirely, I've gotten a little frustrated with the lack of PC focus from the big Pubs and Devs, as a result we've seen very poor porting for AAA titles over to the PC system. With Sony now moving over to x86 architecture, we may well be moving forward in a big step to see all AAA titles get the porting support they deserve. I for one look forward to this, as all new titles will play exceptional well on all platforms and not just the Xbox and Playstation systems.

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1020

• Gribbstar
  • Second-in-Command
  • Thank you received: 1197
I own a PC, PS3 and an XBOX (with Kinect, for the kids honest!)

They all have their niche roles to fulfil but can't see room in my house for a PS4 after watching that stream.

Glorified, miniaturised, PC.

However I do fear we will soon be forced into consoles for gaming as developers are slowly but surely moving away from our beloved platform. When we do get big name console titles they are almost always badly optimized and even go as far as not renaming the pad control scheme buttons (glares at Dark Souls).

Interesting times for sure.

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1021

• pieterv
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 246
Backf1re wrote:

While I now play PC games almost entirely, I've gotten a little frustrated with the lack of PC focus from the big Pubs and Devs, as a result we've seen very poor porting for AAA titles over to the PC system. With Sony now moving over to x86 architecture, we may well be moving forward in a big step to see all AAA titles get the porting support they deserve. I for one look forward to this, as all new titles will play exceptional well on all platforms and not just the Xbox and Playstation systems.
I don't know, I mostly find issues on the User Interface and gameplay design front, not on the technical / optimization side.
For example Battlefield 3, "designed for PC" but the user interface is very lacking for a mouse/keyboard setup, you can't even click the spawnpoints on the map, you have to click on them in a list because that's where consoles would select them. Also gameplay design, a lot of things are dumbed down for PC because of console capabilities. For example BF3 had (has?) a terrible commorose implementation because they couldn't find a button for it on the console controllers, hence it was PC specific, hence it was crap. Devs can't put considerable extra time working on something that will work (well) on only 1 platform because the consoles are refreshed little more than once per decade.

All these problems will not be solved by this change, nor will this change save the teams responsible for these problems any time. So don't get your hopes up.
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by pieterv.

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1027

• Ash
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Gribbstar wrote:
I own a PC, PS3 and an XBOX (with Kinect, for the kids honest!)

They all have their niche roles to fulfil but can't see room in my house for a PS4 after watching that stream.

Glorified, miniaturised, PC.

However I do fear we will soon be forced into consoles for gaming as developers are slowly but surely moving away from our beloved platform. When we do get big name console titles they are almost always badly optimized and even go as far as not renaming the pad control scheme buttons (glares at Dark Souls).

Interesting times for sure.

I played Dark Souls on PC, well except one level which was a slide show with game pad the game itself was perfectly playable, some even said it had better graphics at PC but I think it was a myth. But to the toppic itself, you need to distinguish between consoles game mechanics / controls and console graphics.

Controls. PC - Precise Aiming; FPS games in general. Playing FPS game at console is just dumb. Seriously. You have to have aim assist in which case you either hate it or you'r a kid which could not score any hit without it. So the console games should be (and mostly are) focused on moving maneuvers (like in dark souls) you have target lock so you don't bother hitting while important aspect of a game is dodging and moving around.

And graphics. I personally like the fact that limited machines makes devs focus on optimalization. Played Far Cry 3 recently with comparisment to Crysis 2. Crysis 2 had slightly better graphics but was laggy as hell, and FC3 runs smooth on high quality.
And will we be forced to play games on consoles only in a future. No. Consoles companies tried it since a decade and failed miserably. Why? Two factors. First. Even the best console will still remain console. Unmoddable and outdated at some time. Second. Multiplayer.

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1032

• Acaymo
  • Thank you received: 79
Ash wrote:

Controls. PC - Precise Aiming; FPS games in general. Playing FPS game at console is just dumb. Seriously. You have to have aim assist in which case you either hate it or you'r a kid which could not score any hit without it.

Still to this day I fail to understand who would play an FPS with a god damn joystick. And still many of this kind of games are sold mostly for consoles. I just blows my fucking mind.

As for PC or console I will always choose PC. Much more versatile, much more adaptative. Can you play emulators with a console? I think not. A PC is far more useful and confortable to play mosts games (FPS, RTS...) and you can always buy a USB controller if you don't like mouse&keyboard.

PC MASTER RACE

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1077

• Gribbstar
  • Second-in-Command
  • Thank you received: 1197
The only reason to pick console over pc is the almost total absence of hackers. That's not to say there aren't a few but the playing field is considerably more level. I have played all the modern warfare and halo games on consoles because of this.

There is also nobody with a higher spec system and you all have the same control interface.

As someone born and bred on doom, quake and unreal, using a joypad for fps is kind of blasphemous but it goes to show how much I despise hacking.

PS4 is a PC 4 years 5 months ago #1297

• Madina
  • Fresh Boarder
Sure but at the same time, it's not a question of which is better? It's a question of what is better for you (personally); for example, you might not want a PS4 due to the fact that it is controller only, no backwards capability etc - whereas someone else might buy it just for that specific reason :-)

Where I do see your point with FPS games and controllers; sometimes it's just easier if (Only, and only if the game has been developed with controller's in mind, if it's for Keyboard & Mouse then otherwise); however, like mentioned prior, if you see games that are nothing but horrible, tack downed console ports (MoH: Warfighter) Which by the way, was awful! then you are sure as hell going to notice that it's selling/playing a LOT better on Console due to the nature of the developers; and how they're being lazy/forced into not catering for PC gamers.

Besides, I'm sick of EA etc. They make a couple good games, but they don't make them proper.

As for SOE, This is the first major game I've played from Sony (As I did not like Sony for many years, personal hatred for a huge organisation is & was childish, but - I had my reasons) but, I guess it's best to go with what you specifically like, whether you like 16 player matches go with console, if you want to be more in depth with your games and not lounge on a sofa, go with PC.

Two completely different platforms that cater to two completely different types of gamers :-)

Casual - Console
Serious - PC

Sorry for the huge post by the way, :)
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds