Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Reaver Scout Radar, discussion

Reaver Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #905

• zooba
  • Thank you received: 502
Last day I started taking out my Reaver Scout Radar and give it some serious use, instead of carrying the standard decoy flares. I must say I'm really liking it.

I've scout 3 currently, wich is 150m. That's almost one whole hex (A hex is ~400m across) worth of enemy detection. It's so bloody useful it's silly. Granted it loses some usefulness at towers where the crappy minimap clutters up and makes any dots impossible to see.

But lets look at the switch flares vs scout radar. The way I see it (saw it), flares was totally mandatory the last weeks/month. Reasoning was everyone has lock ons. Everyone. But - then I started thinking how I actually used flares.
This has been my flare tactic, and I believe it's still a valid missile "defense" tactic.
1. Lock-on warning.
2. Try some corqscrew or lock break los maneuver
3. Assuming fail - fire flares. And here's the essential part: you now have 5s of "freedom" where you have to either localize and take out the threat (often almost impossible1) or better get behind cover and wait for flares cd (30s in my case)...because you KNOW there will be a second lock-on wich you can't do shit about.

The "end result" of a missile lock on is the same both with and without flares: You end up behind cover either waiting for flares cd or repairing. Using the flares only saves you from one single missile hit.
I'm starting to really question bringing my flares over the scout radar.

The scout radar gives me great overview even when solo...when for example sneaking up on a base behind buildings. You can instantly see if there is any immediate threat you need to kill. If you're with a squad/platoon...the scout radar is of game-changing use to your team (as mentioned in Gribbs certguide, and I think most if not all of us know this )

Furthermore, I've noted less aircraft carry a2a missiles now. This being because they are so inferior to other weaponloadouts and most pilots know this. You almost only see them at the front of zergs where you got 5+ mossies loaded with them. Well, if you run into that...you can wave those stupid 30s cd flares all you want. You be dead. G2A are the main source of lock-ons now, and in this case it's also mostly in numbers greater than one, wich diminishes the importance of your flares.

So my current standing on this, rating the general usefulness at current stage of the game ;
Scout Radar 4/5
Flares 3/5

Any thoughts or own experiences on the subject?

1. The term "almost impossible" is a registered Zooba TM
Unofficially entered hypercasual activitystate
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by zooba.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reaer Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #908

• gluttonberry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I never used flares and I get killed by lock on missiles so rarely that I'd say everyone who's thinking about trying something else should do it.

Small tips for surviving lock ons:
When you get locked on by infantry get behind cover asap.
When you get locked on by ESFs turn around and shoot them in the face.
In a dogfight against a lock-on-guy you want to get behind the enemy or in a face-to-face position. When face to face land a few shots on him while he's locking on and then fly past him and turn around again. This way you dodge his shot or break his lock on. Repeat until he's dead.

Turning around fast is here essential, I recommend this:
How to turn[LMStv]
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by gluttonberry. Reason: Accidently send it before it was ready...

Reaver Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #910

• Smithay
  • Officer
  • Cogito ergo sum
  • Thank you received: 120
If you get locked on by infantry you can use the flairs and then 5 seconds is enough times to sort them out usually. Given how good night vision is for picking up enemy's anyway im not 100% convinced on radar, but i might give it a go if i get some spare certs to spend. How close to the ground do you have to be for it to work?

Reaver Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #915

• MrPokealot
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 150
Definitely considering trying out the scout radar next time I come on.

Reaver Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #916

• zooba
Smithay wrote:
If you get locked on by infantry you can use the flairs and then 5 seconds is enough times to sort them out usually. Given how good night vision is for picking up enemy's anyway im not 100% convinced on radar, but i might give it a go if i get some spare certs to spend. How close to the ground do you have to be for it to work?

As i understand it, it's a sphere around you. But that's what I've read on forums only, can not confirm. Easy to try though, will do at next session.

Were it really starts to shine, is when you for example defend a tech plant with a small squad. One circling reaver can cover the WHOLE plant. It's so useful to pinpoint infiltrators and LA in the towers for groundforces, plus you can insta rocket any infantry running towards wall from outposts. Etc etc.

It shouldn't be amazing how good radar is...sort of a given that if you can SEE the enemy you have a big advantage. Still I find myself amazed at its usefulness :)

Reaer Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #917

• zooba
gluttonberry wrote:
I never used flares and I get killed by lock on missiles so rarely that I'd say everyone who's thinking about trying something else should do it.

Yea exactly, I almost never die to them unless it's a swarm or I play bad. They're still bloody annoying ofc since you have to avoid them and repair...but you learn to get out of danger after a while at least.

And that turn should be force-learned before allowing anyone to leave warpgate in a Reaver :)

You using radar then, or fire sup instead of flares ?

Reaver Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #918

• zooba
I had another thought at the grocery store while casually cruising between a group of large women ;

Maybe we should consider scout radar with decent range (upgraded flash or reaver) of equal importance to other stuff giving us great tactical advantages?
We make sure we bring Heavy's with lock - ons
We make sure we bring out AA Maxes
We make sure we guard our sunderers
etc etc

We should make sure we have at least one scout radar vehicle along at all times too. Maybe some of you guys already are doing this, but I seldom hear squadleaders check "who's got radar at XX location?". Maybe we should be doing just that :) . We should use all tools that give us an edge.

Reaer Scout Radar, discussion 4 years 5 months ago #944

• gluttonberry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
zooba wrote:

You using radar then, or fire sup instead of flares ?

I'm using fire suppression, it saves my ass pretty often ;)

You can even survive a direct hit from a dumpfire rocketlauncher with it. When you get hit by one your Reaver will have like 1 pixel health left, which will last for about 0.5sec. You only have to press F in that time period and you'll survive :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zooba
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds