Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Application - Swagtiman

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1336

• Madvillain
  • The Village Idiot.
  • Thank you received: 139
To be honest I don't like your name :/

edit: i say that on my own behalf , i'm not a MACS leader.
welcome i guess...
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Madvillain.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1337

• Swagtiman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Oh my, who doesn't LOVE swastikas?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPokealot

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1338

• Madvillain
  • The Village Idiot.
I don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badvrouw

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1340

• Acaymo
  • Thank you received: 79
There is a big misconception with the word "swastika". It doesn't necessarily have to mean anything bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPokealot

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1341

• hbw
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 170
that celt one is me on a friday night

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1342

• Swagtiman
  • Fresh Boarder
I will have to accept your hate towards swastikas then :(

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1343

• Madvillain
  • The Village Idiot.
It's okay , I didn't realise you were hindu. *_*

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1348

• Swagtiman
  • Fresh Boarder
Neither that, I just didn't know what name to use.
However, thanks for welcoming me :blush:

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1352

• Backf1re
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 174
Just like every other thing Hitler and his Nazi party are recognised with has been completely tarnished.

The swastika is not a Nazi invention, it is a symbol that's been used for hundreds of years by many civilisations. Another symbol that has been tarnished is the famous toothbrush moustache. This has been used by Charlie Chaplin and Hardy from "Laurel and Hardy" before the Nazi party rise to power. But since Hitler had it, everyone today cannot use it because they believe whom has the moustache is a Nazi.

Back on topic, welcome to the Maniacs Swastiman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPokealot, zooba, cheerio

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1363

• Erzfeuer
  • Expert Boarder
  • "I'm too old for this shit."
  • Thank you received: 62
I must say, that name makes my stomach hurt, too.

Of course things originally harmless have been tainted by use from the nazis. But that's the point: Nowadays they ARE tainted, and everybody who uses something that's been so obviously occupied just causes associations in the minds of others. One may find bad that the nazis tainted these things, but one can't change it nowadays. That's pretty much the thing about symbols, and how they work in the human mind. So, inevitably there are questions provoked - and for a reason, i think. And since you can't answer these questions ingame, people are left alone with their first impressions.

So, if there's no special connection to the name and you just chose it on a whim, and you are in no way affiliated with the image usually invoked with that, why not simply change it? I for myself wouldn't want the MACS-Tag to be associated with somethinh like that, and that's what would happen inevitably: people asking themselves "Why choose that name?" and, in consequence: "Do the other Maniacs approve of that?". I find that... worrying.

Just my two cents,
Signed,
Erzfeuer
- german, by the way, and therefore possibly just not that relaxed about the topic -

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1366

• Swagtiman
  • Fresh Boarder
And since you can't answer these questions ingame, people are left alone with their first impressions.
But I can, in fact everyone can just googling it.
So, if there's no special connection to the name and you just chose it on a whim, and you are in no way affiliated with the image usually invoked with that, why not simply change it?
Well, there's no special connection in the sense that I practice no religion related, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. Other people use furniture as names.
I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna change my name because some guy decided to invert this symbol and use it for a political party, when the word swastika is a part of a large group of religions and thoughts.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1368

• Smithay
  • Officer
  • Cogito ergo sum
  • Thank you received: 120
Have to agree with Swasti on this one, his descendants have been using the word for centuries. If a man that has nothing to do with him decides to use it for ill gain that should not deny him his heritage.
It is worth remembering what the NC stand for, liberty, which encompasses everything from free speech to freedom of expression. Of course Erzfuer has a point, as an organisation it is important for the MAC's to remain respectful and dignified at all times, i believe Swasti to be on the right side of that line however.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1369

• Erzfeuer
  • Expert Boarder
I've had this debate before - all with people who forgot that it was not "some guy", but "some guy, his country and his army for quite a few years, which led to a world war and a holocaust, both with millions of deaths, and who carried this special symbol across the world in the process, leading to the equation "Swastika = BAD" in the majority of minds". No furniture name known to me functions in this way as an obvious downplay of fascism.

But since these debates never led anywhere past first initial polite requests, I will leave it at that, wait for a decision by the officers of this outfit and think about my personal reaction to that decision after that.

Have to agree with Swasti on this one, his descendants have been using the word for centuries

I'm confused by that one. His descendants? How can the people living after him have used the word? Did you mean ancestors? And if you did, who do you mean by that? As I read, he is german, living in spain, so his ancestors were also the one to "spoil" the thing, and to put extra responsibility into the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong: I made my point and won't argue any further. I just want to understand you. ;)
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Erzfeuer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badvrouw, hbw

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1370

• hbw
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 170
i can't help but think the name choice is somewhat poor taste- particularly if you are a german. Whether you're hindi or not, as someone who has evidently grown up in the west you can't feign ignorance to the fact that the swastika is forever tainted here, despite it's long history predating the nazis.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Erzfeuer

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1371

• zooba
  • Thank you received: 502
First of all - Welcome mate! Hope you understand that the debate going on here has nothing to do with you personally. Unfortunately though your name choice is controversial, it doesn't really matter why it was choosen...it is enough that it may be very offensive to other people. People in general are not that well educated in the history of symbols. Sadly not very forgiving either.

I personally have no problem "seeing past" a bad chapter in history, but I can honestly also understand that due to the unfortunate fact that there is a dark chapter in history associated with the swastika, that this may be a tough call for the officers until namechanges are available.

I'll say also that I don't think the name is immediately offensive. You'd have to be somewhat familiar with the history of symbolics to even get the reference. Maybe if you are that familiar, you will see past the obvious misunderstanding that it would be some kind of nazi reference?

Tough call :-/

All in all I can't help but see your naming as a little unfortunate since you seem a nice guy.

ed: A question that might be of relevance: Would you be willing to change your name to greatly simplify things and eliminate the issue completely, if it was possible? It is not unlikely that this can be done should you write a support mail and explain why you would want it changed I think.
Unofficially entered hypercasual activitystate
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by zooba.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1373

• Swagtiman
  • Fresh Boarder
: Would you be willing to change your name to greatly simplify things and eliminate the issue completely, if it was possible?

I would if I had used a name which is wrong without me knowing it. But I am 100% conscious that someone without culture can misunderstand. I am not going to rectify something that isn't wrong.
some guy, his country and his army for quite a few years, which led to a world war and a holocaust, both with millions of deaths

In that case, you should be against people using any name that could lead to a bad event. I should be against your name for the possible victims of fire, not even mentioning fire has tortured millions of people and animals, without even having a reason. How do you think the victims of fire are feeling when reading your name?
It may sound stupid but it's just an example that ONE THING in a GROUP OF THINGS doesn't describe said group. I know my english is a bit weird, but I hope you can understand.

Swastika is not a bad word by it's nature, therefore it's not wrong to use it.

Thanks everyone for welcoming me again.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1374

• Erzfeuer
  • Expert Boarder
So, I am the one "without culture" here? Thanks. I rest my case.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1375

• Swagtiman
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm sorry, I didn't express myself right.
Your point is that people without culture would suppose I am a nazi, and therefore the MACS are supporting nazis.
I am aware of that, people without culture take such conclusions all the time.
What I'm saying is that I can't make everyone happy, and if someone is ignorant enough to say that the swastika is a nazi symbol, to say the truth, I won't feel bothered at all.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Swagtiman.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1376

• Smithay
  • Officer
  • Cogito ergo sum
  • Thank you received: 120
This is an interesting paradyme for sure, being neither German nor Jewish it can be difficult to fully understand the situation. But what i feel is an equivilant situation we have in England is the poppy.

To many people in the west the poppy is a symbol of the sacrifice people have made for their country, particularly the two world wars. However in the East the poppy is a symbol and reminder of the Opium wars, a dark time in oriental history and as such is deeply offensive to many from this area. While iconography has a rich and intricate history it is clear that at the core lies the fact that, different things means different things to different people. What is important is not what symbol you choose to use but rather its intent of purpose. I Do not profess to know Swasiman in any meaningful way, but i am sure he had no hatred when his name was chosen.

Application - Swagtiman 5 years 4 months ago #1379

• pieterv
  • Officer
  • Thank you received: 246
I'd just like to welcome you and give my advice, which is probably also controversial:
Stop being so uptight/easily offended about things like this.
  • Page:
Moderators: Gribbstar
Time to create page: 0.594 seconds